Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Applying For Your First U.S. Passport

Most U.S. Citizens will apply for their first U.S. passport in the United States or in conjunction with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).  On occassion, adults will apply for their first U.S. passport abroad.  In addition to the other requirements for passports, applicants should also bring the following:

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship

    • Original Certificate of Naturalization
    • Original U.S. Birth Certificate
    • Original CRBA
    • Other evidence that applicant qualifies as a U.S. citizen
  • Original birth certificate
  • Government issued photo identification

Applicants who are basing their claim of citizenship on the U.S. citizenship of their parents will be required to present evidence of their parents' physical presence in the United States.  First-time adult applicants should contact the the Consular Section at